genealogy, history and culture
The Florida Parishes
In the Treaty of Paris of 1763, the British had gained the
territory that extended north and west of Lake Pontchartrain, known as British
West Florida (see map below). General Galvez brought in hundreds of
settlers from the Canary Islands (Islenos or Islanders). In September 1779,
Galvez captured Baton Rouge which had been renamed Fort Richmond by the English
and by the end of 1779, he had recaptured all the British West Florida parishes.